Tuesday, August 14, 2012

My Vinyl Life #2

My Vinyl Life
Live Albums
The Decemberists, We All Raise Our Voices to the Air
My heart cries a little when I play this record.
I bought tickets for their last tour. heart beaming, hope ensuing, absolute joy... those all come to mind, when recalling. Then my car broke down. And not just broke down, but the engine blew up and I was carless a week before the concert, and no way of getting to the show.
I was angry, hurt, bitter, sad.
I still am a little.

The worst part was, when they came back through close to the end of the tour, someone offered me a ride and a free ticket! Joy! Rapture! But I couldn't bare going without my sis... so I declined... and had a bit of a sulk.
 They're on infinite hiatus, now, you know. So, I'll never see them.

Life sucks like that sometimes. But, When I saw this was coming out I put the money aside to buy it.
tri-fold, covered in photos from the tour, and one of my favorite record to listen to all the way through...

It's sad, because I wish I could have been there, but it's sweet because I close my eyes and I would swear, the way only vinyl can capture something, you can hear the energy, feel it.
The Mariners Revenge is one of my favorite songs, but really, all these songs are incredible. Really amazing, storytelling songs. You should get this on vinyl... but at the very least get the MP3 versions.
No, Scratch that. Just get the Vinyl.

The Who, Live at Leeds

I love The Who.
That's an understatement. And this is a great album!
It pretty much speaks for itself but I smile a lot when I play this. 

Like all The Who's music it is very Summer time. So, this, and a Greatest Hits cassette from them, have been getting a lot of play this season! It feels good.

I don't have some deep story, I just, found this at Omega Music in Dayton Ohio (my most frequently visited record shop) in the clearance section for 50cents.

BOOM!

It came home with me. And I'm very happy!

I love Substitute on that Album
...and on the cassette, Squeezebox

Live Albums are a lot of fun. Listening to a Live Record is perfect for vinyl since you just drop the needle and take the trip.



File Under: My Vinyl Life

5 comments:

  1. Ah, no! That's too bad. Sometimes concerts just seem a little jinxed.
    I've bought tickets for India Arie a few times, yet she always cancelled her gigs. The one time she didn't cancel I didn't have tickets...

    Glad you found a great record to make up for it a little!

    blueeyednightowl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the worst when concerts don't work out. I traveled to the east coast for a John Mayer show that he ended up cancelling. That was a fun trip. :|

    I love listening to albums on vinyl though. I always say that is how music is supposed to be listened to if you can't see a band live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it really is the worst! I'm sorry about John Mayer :/ that sucks!

    I couldn't agree more about vinyl and it being the RIGHT way, BEST way, other than in person to listen to Music!

    ReplyDelete