Sunday, August 5, 2012

My Vinyl Life. #1

My Vinyl Life
An Introduction 

The Eels, End Times


When I decided to Blog about my favorite collection, my records, I thought it would be easy. But, it isn't. I really want a cohesive flow to this section and I want to make sure I give the records I love most a decent billing. After all, Records have been my constant sanity. I love music and I love the sound of the needle on vinyl. I love hearing the recordings the way they were meant to be. Raw. Timeless. Special.

I'll ask you to excuse me if I get gushy or over emotional at times. Because, it WILL happen.

So, Where do I begin?



The First Record that I bought for myself after my ex-husband and I separated was End Times by the Eels. And it was so fitting. This record is beautiful and sad and full of reasons why it's okay to feel. In my mind, this is a PERFECT, shining example of what records are supposed to sound like. You feel part of something so intimate and it's comforting.

My Favorite song on that album is hard to choose but... I'd say it's Little Bird, but in my defense, every song has been my favorite at one time or another since the album was released. All the songs are great, you should give it a listen if you haven't, and if you have, pull it out and listen again... it is never disappointing. I think of it as a sweater, one that I can wear when I feel a little down.

I bought this gem at Shake-it Records in Cincinnati, which is my all-time favorite record store on the planet. It's about 1 and a half hours from me, but so worth the trip when I get to go. I actually was there, Record Store Day 2 years ago. Talk about fun. All those people, sifting through an amazing collection, feeling just like you do... it's a rush. I didn't buy this then, I spent that time buying a gift for my Sister (Eskimo Snow, by Why?).

It's funny. Buying vinyl, is catharsis for me. Whether it's a 25 cent yard sale find, or a $40 Decemberists live album, it all excites and delights me. I'm thankful for the revival... and thankful for record stores in Ohio.




No comments:

Post a Comment